This Excel tip shows you how to apply italics formatting using Shortcut keys on the keyboard.
There are two key combinations that can be used to add or remove italics formatting to data:
- Ctrl + " I " keys
- Ctrl + " 3 " keys
Example: Using Shortcut Keys to Apply Italics Formatting
For help with this example, see the image to the right.
- Type some data into a cell, such as E1 in the spreadsheet and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Click on that cell to make it the active cell.
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard.
- Press and release the letter " I " on the keyboard.
- Italics formatting should be applied to the data in the cell.
- Press and release the Ctrl + " I " keys again to remove the italics formatting.
Other Keyboard Shortcuts