This Excel tip shows you how to hide rows of data in an Excel spreadsheet using a keyboard shortcut.
Related article: Unhide Rows in Excel.
Example of How to Hide Rows using a Keyboard Shortcut
Note: For help with this example, see the image to the right.
- Enter the following data into cells A1 to A3: January, February, March.
- Click on cell A2 with the mouse to highlight it.
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard.
- Press and release the number nine " 9 " key without releasing the Ctrl key.
- Row 2 should now be hidden from view - along with the data (February) it contains in cell A2.
Note: The data in A2 has not been deleted. It can still be referenced in such things as formulas and charts even though it has been hidden.
Other Keyboard Shortcuts