Fibonacci numbers form a sequence. After two starting numbers, each additional number in the sequence is the sum of the two preceding numbers.
The first Fibonacci numbers are:
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584 …
Fibonacci Numbers Example
Note: For help with this example, see the image above.
To create Fibonacci numbers using spreadsheet formulas:
- In cell A2 type a zero ( 0 ) and press the Enter key.
- In cell B2 type a 1 and press the Enter key.
- In cell C2 type the formula =A2 + B2 and press the Enter key.
- Click on cell C2.
To copy the formula to the adjacent cells:
- Place the mouse pointer over the fill handle in the bottom right corner of cell C2.
- Hold down the mouse button on the fill handle and drag to the right to cell S2.
- S2 should contain the number 2584.
- To continue the Fibonacci numbers, continue dragging to the right with the fill handle.
Fibonacci was a very influential mathematician.
To find out more, read this short biography on Fibonacci.