Adding the Search Criteria
The last step in the tutorial is to add the criteria we want the function to match.
For help with this example click on the image above.
- In cell D12 type East and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- The answer $59,641 should appear in cell E12. Since the criterion of equaling East is met in four cells (C3 to C6) the numbers in the corresponding cells in column E (E3 to E6)are averaged.
- When you click on cell E12, the complete function
= AVERAGEIF (C3:C9, D12, E3:E9) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.
- To find the sales average for other sales regions, type the name of the region, such as North in cell E12 and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- The average for that sales region should appear in cell E12.