Convert Microsoft Works Spreadsheets to Excel
- Open a Microsoft Works Spreadsheet that you want to convert to Excel
- Choose File > Save As from the menus to open the Save As dialog box.
- Click on the Save as type box at the bottom of the dialog box to open the drop down list.
- Choose Excel 97-2000 (*.xls) from the list. This option will work for Excel 2003.
- If you have an older version of Excel, choose the appropriate option from the drop down list instead of Excel 97-2000 (*.xls).
Note: This tip works for Microsoft Works version 6.0 to version 2006.
When converting files from Microsoft Works to Excel I have found that some formatting features, such as color and shading, do not always convert properly to the Excel file. This seems to happen if you use a formatting feature in the Works spreadsheet that is not present in Excel.