Open Office Calc Formatting - number formatting
Note: For help on these steps, refer to the image above. As well, if you place your mouse over an icon on a toolbar, the icon's name will be displayed.
Number formatting refers to the addition of currency symbols, decimal markers, percent signs, and other symbols that help to identify the type of data present in a cell and to make it easier to read.
In this step we add percent signs and currency symbols to our data.
Adding the percent sign
- Select cell C6.
- Click on the Number Format: Percent icon on the Formatting toolbar to add the percent symbol to the selected cell.
- Click on the Number Format: Delete Decimal Place icon on the Formatting toolbar twice to remove the two decimal places.
- The data in cell C6 should now read as 6 %.
Adding the currency symbol
- Drag select cells B9 - D12.
- Click on the Number Format: Currency icon on the Formatting toolbar to add the dollar sign to the selected cells.
- The data in cells B9 - D12 should now show the dollar symbol ( $ ) and two decimal places.
Return to Index page