OpenOffice Calc SUM Function
Adding up rows or columns of numbers is one of the most common operations carried out in spreadsheet programs like OpenOffice Calc.
The SUM Function's Syntax and Arguments
The syntax for the SUM function is:
=SUM (number1; number2; ... number30)
Up to 30 numbers can be added by the function.
number1; number2; ... number30 - the data to be summed by the function. The arguments can contain:
- a list of numbers to be summed
- a list of cell references indicating the location of the data in the worksheet
- a range of cell references to the location of the data
Example: Add a Column of Numbers Using Calc's SUM Function
For help with this example, see the image above.
- Enter the following data into cells C1 to C6: 114, 165, 178, 143, 130, 165
- Click on cell C7 - the location where the results of the function will be displayed
- Click on the Function Wizard icon next to the input line to bring up the Function Wizard dialog box
- Click into the Category drop down list and select Mathematical to see the list of math functions
- Select SUM from the list of functions
- Click Next
- Drag select cells D1:D6 in the worksheet to enter this range in the number 1 line of the dialog box
- Click OK
- The number 895 should appear in cell D7 - this is the sum of the numbers you have entered in cells D1 to D6
- When you click on cell C7 the complete function = SUM ( C1:C6 ) appears in the input line above the worksheet