This step covers adding the Lookup_array argument for the nested MATCH function.
The Lookup_array is the range of cells that the MATCH function will search to find the Lookup_value argument added in the previous step of the tutorial.
Since we have identified two search fields in the Lookup_array argument we must do the same for the Lookup_array. The MATCH function only searches one array for each term specified.
To enter multiple arrays we again use the ampersand " & " to concatenate the arrays together.
For help with this example click on the image above.
These steps are to be entered after the comma entered in the previous step on the Row_num line in the INDEX function dialog box.
- Click on the Row_num line after the comma to place the insertion point at the end of the current entry.
- Drag select cells D6 to D11 in the worksheet to enter the range. This is the first array the function is to search.
- Type an ampersand " & " after the cell references D6:D11 because we want the function to search two arrays.
- Drag select cells E6 to E11 in the worksheet to enter the range. This is the second array the function is to search.
- Type a comma " , " after the cell reference E3 to complete the entry of the MATCH function's Lookup_array argument.
- Leave the INDEX function dialog box open for the next step in the tutorial.