Choosing the Array Form Argument List
The INDEX function is one of the few in Excel that has multiple forms. The function has an Array Form and a Reference Form.
In this tutorial we will use the Array Form since we want to know the name of a supplier for titanium widgets rather than the cell reference to this supplier in our database.
Each form has a different list of arguments that must be selected before beginning the function.
For help with these instructions, see the image above.
- Click on cell F3 to make it the active cell. This is where we will enter the nested function.
- Click on the Formulas tab of the ribbon menu.
- Choose Lookup and Reference from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on INDEX in the list to bring up the Select Arguments dialog box.
- Choose the array, row_num, col_num option in the dialog box.
- Click OK to open the INDEX function dialog box.