Starting the Nested IF Function
The nested IF function will be entered into the Value_if_false line of the dialog box.
Normally, the Value_if_false argument tells the IF function what to do if the Logical Test is false.
In this tutorial, however, we still have two deduction levels left to deal with:
- employees with a salary between $30,000 and $49,999
- and those with a salary greater than or equal to $50,000
And we can only give the IF function one instruction per argument.
To get around this problem, we use a second IF function with a Logical test that will break down the two remaining deduction levels into separate groups.
As mentioned at the beginning of the tutorial, we cannot open a second dialog box to enter the second set of arguments for the nested function so the nested IF function must be typed into the Value_if_false line.
- Click on the Value_if_false line in the dialog box.
- Type the word if followed by an open round bracket " ( " (no quotes).
- At this point, the nested IF function on the Value_if_false line should read: