Adding the Range Lookup Argument
- If TRUE or if this argument is omitted, VLOOKUP will use an approximate match if it cannot find an exact match to the Lookup_value. If an exact match is not found, VLOOKUP returns the next largest value that is less than the Lookup_value.
- If FALSE, VLOOKUP will only use an exact match to the Lookup_value. If there are two or more values in the first column of Table_array that match the Lookup_value, the first value found is used. If an exact match is not found, a #N/A error is returned.
For help with this example click on the image above.
- Click on the Range_lookup line in the dialog box
- Type the word False in this line to indicate that we want VLOOKUP to return an exact match for the data we are seeking.
- DO NOT click OK to close the dialog box. Even though we have filled in all lines in the dialog box we must complete the next step in the tutorial to turn VLOOKUP into an array formula.