Enter the Tutorial Data
When entering the data into an Excel worksheet, there are some general rules to follow:
- Leaving blank rows and columns in data tables can make it difficult to use a number of Excel's functions - including VLOOKUP.
- When laying out your worksheet, place a title describing the data at the top of the first column of the table with the data below.
- If there is more than one data series, list them one after the other in columns (left to right) with the title for each series at the top.
Note: The tutorial does not include the steps for formatting the worksheet as shown in the image above. Information on worksheet formatting options is available in this Basic Excel Formatting Tutorial.
- Enter the data as seen in the image above into cells D4 to E10.
- The first column of data (column D) contains the part names. The second column (column E) the price of each part.