The AVERAGE function can be used to find the average or arithmetic mean of a list of numbers.
The syntax for the AVERAGE function is:
= AVERAGE ( argument1, argument2, ... argument255 )
Example Using Excel's AVERAGE Function:
- Enter the following data into cells C1 to C6:
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.
- Click on cell C7 - the location where the results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab.
- Choose More Functions > Statistical from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on AVERAGE in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- Drag select cells C1 to C6 in the spreadsheet to enter the range into the dialog box.
- Click OK.
- The answer 13.5, which is the average value for the data in cells C1 to C6, should appear in cell C7.
- When you click on cell C7 the complete function = AVERAGE ( C1 : C6 ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.