When text data is imported or copied into an Excel spreadsheet sometimes the words have incorrect capitalization.
To convert this text all to lower case (small letters) in Excel you can use the LOWER function.
The syntax for the LOWER function is:
= LOWER ( Text )
Text - the text you want to change. This can be a cell reference, a word or words enclosed in quotation marks, or a formula that outputs text.
Example: Using Excel's LOWER Function
- Enter the following text (all in capitals) into cell D1:
- Click on cell E1 in the spreadsheet - this is where the function will be located.
- Click on the Formulas tab of the ribbon menu.
- Choose Text from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on LOWER in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- In the dialog box, click on the Text line.
- Click on cell D1 in the spreadsheet.
- Click OK.
- The line of text income statement should appear in cell E1 all in lower case.
- When you click on cell E1 the complete function = LOWER ( D1 ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.