The MEDIAN function can be used to find the middle value in a list of numbers.
Middle, in this case, refers to arithmetic size rather than the location of the numbers in a list.
If there is an even set of numbers, the median is the average of the middle two values.
The syntax for the MEDIAN function is:
= MEDIAN ( number1, number2, ... number255 )
Note:Up to 255 numbers can be entered into the function.
Example: Using Excel's MEDIAN Function
- Enter the following data into cells D1 to D5:
- Click on cell E1 - the location where the results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab
- Choose More Functions > Statistical from the ribbon to open the function drop down list
- Click on MEDIAN in the list to bring up the function's dialog box
- Drag select cells D1 to D5 in the spreadsheet to enter the range into the dialog box
- Click OK
- The answer 24 should appear in cell E1 since there are two numbers larger (49 and 65) and two numbers smaller (4 and 12) than it in the list
- The complete function = MEDIAN (D1 : D5) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet when you click on cell F1