= COUNT ( Number1, Number2, ... Number255 )
Up to 255 numbers can be entered into the function.
Example: Using Excel's AutoCOUNT Feature
For help with this example, see the image above.
- Enter the following data into cells C1 to C6:
11, twelve, 13, 14, fifteen, 16
- Make sure that cell C7 - the location where the results will be displayed is blank.
- Drag select cells C1 to C6 in the spreadsheet.
- Click on the Home tab.
- Click on the down arrow beside the AutoSum button on the ribbon to open the drop down menu.
- Click on COUNT Numbers in the menu to enter the COUNT function into cell C7.
- The answer 4 should appear in cell C7 even though we have entered data into six cells.
- As mentioned above, the COUNT function only totals up those cells containing numbers. The function ignored the data in cells C2 and C5 because it was text.
- Click on cell C7 and the complete function = COUNT (C1 : C6) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.