The Auto AVERAGE feature is a shortcut to using Excel's AVERAGE function. It provides a quick way to find the average value in columns or rows of numbers in a spreadsheet.
=AVERAGE ( Number1, Number2, ... Number255 )
Up to 255 numbers can be entered into the function.
Excel's Auto AVERAGE Feature Example
For help with this example, see the image above and to the right.
- Enter the following data into cells C1 to C6:
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
- Make sure that cell C7 - the location where the results will be displayed is blank.
- Drag select cells C1 to C6 in the spreadsheet.
- Click on the Home tab.
- Click on the down arrow beside the AutoSum button on the ribbon to open the drop down menu.
- Click on the word AVERAGE in the menu to enter the AVERAGE function into cell C7.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard to accept the function.
- The answer 13.5 should appear in cell C7.
- Click on cell C7 and the complete function = AVERAGE (C1 : C6) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.