One way to generate random numbers in Excel is to use the RAND function. This function produces a random number between 0 and 1.
The syntax for the RAND function is:
= RAND ( )
Note: This function takes no arguments.
Example: Using Excel's RAND Function
- Click on cell E1 in the spreadsheet - the location where the results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab of the ribbon menu.
- Choose Math & Trig from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on RAND in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- Click OK.
- A random number between 0 and 1 should appear in cell E1.
- To generate another random number, press the F9 key on the keyboard.
- When you click on cell E1 the complete function = RAND ( ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.