The TODAY function, one of Excel's date and time functions, can be used to add today's date to a spreadsheet.
The syntax for the TODAY function is:
As a result, the function continually updates itself every time a worksheet is recalculated.
Normally worksheets recalculate each time they are opened so every day that the worksheet is opened the date will change unless automatic recalculation is turned off.
To enter the date so that it will not change, try using this keyboard shortcut.
Example: Using Excel's TODAY Function
For help with this example, see the image above.
- Click on cell D1 - the location where the results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab.
- Choose Date & Time from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on TODAY in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- Click OK.
- Today's date should appear in cell D1.
- When you click on cell D1 the complete function =TODAY( ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.