Adding a Formula to Calculate Net Salary
The Net Salary formula will subtract an employee's Deduction amount calculated in the previous step from the employee's Gross Salary.
For help on these steps, refer to the image above.
- Click on cell F8 - the location where we want the formula's answer to appear.
- Type an equal sign ( = ) to let Excel know that we are creating a formula.
- Click on cell D8 to enter that cell reference into the formula.
- Type a minus sign ( - ), since we are subtracting two amounts.
- Click on cell E8 to enter that cell reference into the formula.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard to complete the formula.
- The answer 47345.83 should appear in cell F8.
- When you click on cell F8 the formula = D8 - E8 should be visible in the formula bar above the worksheet.
- Save your worksheet.
Completing the Tutorial
At this point you can choose to:
- Carry on with part 2 of this tutorial which covers basic formatting options in Excel 2010, or
- End this tutorial by completing the last step which involves copying the formulas in row 8 to rows 9 to 11 using the fill handle
Return to Index page