Adding the Employee Deductions Formula
The deductions formula will multiply an employee's total income by the deduction rate located in cell C5.
In the previous step of this tutorial we assigned cell C5 a range name of "rate" in order to simplify copying the formula to other cells. The formula will be copied to cells C9 to C11 in a later step using the Fill Handle.
Tutorial Steps:For help on these steps, refer to the image above.
- Click on cell E8 - the location where we want the formula's answer to appear.
- Type an equal sign ( = ) to let Excel know that we are creating a formula.
- Click on cell D8 to enter that cell reference into the formula.
- Type an asterisk *, which is the symbol for multiplication in Excel.
- Click on cell C5 to enter the range name "rate" into the formula.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard to complete the formula.
- The answer 3022.074 should appear in cell C5.
- When you click on cell C5 the formula = D8 * rate should be visible in the formula bar above the worksheet.
- Save your worksheet.
Return to Index page