Using a Named Range in Excel Formulas
Related Tutorial: Excel Named Range Overview
When a name is assigned to a cell or group of cells then the range name is used in the formulas rather than the cell reference.
Even when copied to other cells, the named range will always refer to the original cell or cells.
For help on these steps, refer to the image above.
- Click on cell C5 in the worksheet.
- Click on the Name Box located above column A.
- Type "rate" (no quotes) in the Name Box.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
- Cell C5 now has the range name of "rate". We will use the name to simplify creating the Deduction formula in the next step of the tutorial.
- Save your worksheet.
Return to Index page