Basic Excel 2007 Formula Tutorial: Step 3 of 3
Following the equal sign, we add in the cell references of the cells containing our data.
By using the cell references of our data in the formula, the formula will automatically update the answer if the data in cells E1 and E2 changes.
The best way of adding cell references is by using the Excel feature called pointing. Pointing allows you to click with your mouse on the cell containing your data to add its cell reference to the formula.
After the equal sign added in step 2
- Click on cell E1 with the mouse pointer to enter the cell reference into the formula.
- Type a plus ( + ) sign.
- Click on cell E2 with the mouse pointer to enter the cell reference into the formula.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
- The answer 5 should appear in cell E3.
- Click on cell E3. The formula = E1 + E2 is shown in the formula bar above the worksheet.