Excel Stock Market Chart OverviewA Volume-High-Low-Close stock market chart is a type of bar chart or graph used primarily to show changes in the value of tradable assets - such as stocks - over a given period of time.
The component parts of the chart and their function are:
- The thin vertical lines on the chart shows the range of value for the stock for the time period with the top of the line indicating the highest share price and the bottom of the line indicating the lowest share price
- The close marker - the yellow triangle. The upper point of the triangle indicates the closing price for the stock
- The blue vertical bars show the volume or number of shares traded for the time period
Excel Stock Market Chart Tutorial
This tutorial walks you through creating a Volume-High-Low-Close stock market chart in Excel.
The tutorial first creates a basic stock chart and then uses formatting options listed under Chart Tools on the ribbon to produce the chart seen in the image above.
- Entering and Selecting the Chart Data
- Creating a Basic Volume-High-Low-Close Chart
- Using the Chart Tools to add Chart and Axes Titles
- Formatting Chart Labels and Values
- Formatting the Close Marker
- Changing the Chart Area Background Color
- Changing the Plot Area Background Color
- Adding the 3-D Bevel Effect and Re-sizing the Chart