Exploding Out a Single Slice of Pie
To add emphasis to a particular piece of a pie chart you can move or "explode" this slice out from the rest of the chart as can be seen in the image to the right.
- The first step is to create a pie chart.
- Once the pie chart is complete, click once with the mouse pointer on the chart to highlight it
- Small circles (dark blocks in Excel 2003 and previous) should be visible on the outside edge of the pie
- Click a second time with the mouse pointer on the slice you want to explode out from the rest of the pie
- The small circles / dark blocks should now surround just this single slice of pie
- Click and drag with the mouse pointer the selected slice of the pie
- The slice should move away from the rest of the chart thus exploding it
- To move the exploded slice back to its original location repeat steps 2 and 3 above and then drag the slice back to the pie. It will automatically return to its original location
Note: If all of the slices in the chart explode out it means that you did not select just a single slice. To correct this, drag the slices back together and try steps 2 and 3 above again.