The syntax for the NOW function is:
= NOW ( )
As a result the function continually updates itself every time a worksheet is recalculated.
Normally worksheets recalculate each time they are opened so every day that the worksheet is opened the date will change unless automatic recalculation is turned off.
To enter the date so that it will not change, try using this keyboard shortcut.
Example: Using Excel's NOW Function
For help with this example, see the image above.
- Click on cell D1 - the location where the results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab.
- Choose Date & Time from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on NOW in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- Click OK.
- The current time and date should appear in cell D1.
- When you click on cell D1 the complete function = NOW ( ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.
- If you want cell D1 to show only the current time or date, change the cell's format to show either time or date only.