Cells and cell references in Excel
- Data is stored in cells in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Each small rectangle in a spreadsheet is a cell.
- A cell is the intersection point of a column and a row.
Column and Row Facts
- Columns run vertically in a spreadsheet and are identified by a letter.
- Rows run horizontally and are identified by a number.
- There are 65,536 rows, 256 columns, and over 16 million cells in a worksheet.
Cell Reference Facts
- To keep track of all these cells, each cell has a cell reference or address.
- A cell reference is a combination of the column letter and the row number.
- The active cell reference is shown in the name box above column A.