Related Tutorial: Excel Range Name Overview
When a range name is assigned to a cell then the range name is used in the formulas rather than the cell reference.
Even when copied to other cells, the range name will always refer to the original cell.
For help on these steps, refer to the image above.
- If necessary, open the worksheet saved in the previous step of the tutorial.
- Click on cell C5 in the worksheet.
- Click on the Name Box located above column A.
- Type "rate" (no quotes) in the Name Box.
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
- Cell C5 now has the range name of "rate". We will use the name to simplify creating the Deduction formula in the next step of the tutorial.
- Save your worksheet.