Tables of data
The basic format for storing data in an Excel database is a table. In a table, data is entered in rows. Each row is known as a record.
Once a table has been created, Excel's data tools can be used to search, sort, and filter records in the database to find specific information.
Although there are a number of ways you can use these data tools in Excel, the easiest way of doing so is to create what's known as a list from the data in a table.
To follow this tutorial:
- enter the data as it is shown in the image above.
Tip - To enter the Student ID's quickly:
Note: For help on these steps, refer to the image above.
- Type the first two ID's - ST348-245 and ST348-246 into cells A5 and A6 respectively.
- Drag select the two ID's to highlight them.
- Click on the fill handle and drag it down to cell A13.
- The rest of the Student ID's should be entered into cells A6 to A13 correctly.
Return to Index page