The Remove Duplicates Dialog Box
For help with this example see the image above.
- The Remove Duplicates dialog box displays all the column headings or field names from our data sample
- The check marks next to the field names indicate which columns Excel will try to match in searching for duplicate records
- By default, when the dialog box opens all of the field names are checked off
- Since we are searching for completely identical records in this example we will leave all the column headings checked
- Click OK
At this point the following results should be seen:
- The dialog box should close and be replaced by a message saying: 1 duplicate values found and removed; 4 unique values remain.
- The row containing the duplicate H. Thompson record will have been removed from the database
- The resulting data sample should contain only four records - those of Smith W., Thompson H., Jones B., and James J.