The syntax for the COUNTBLANK function is:
Range - the group of cells the function is to search.
Example: Count Blank Cells with the COUNTBLANK Function
- Enter the following data into cells as shown in the image above:
D1 - cabbages , D2 - carrots
D3 - leave blank , D4 - radishes
D5 - potatoes , D6 - parsnips
- Click on cell E1 - the location where the
results will be displayed.
- Click on the Formulas tab.
- Choose More Functions > Statistical from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on COUNTBLANK in the list to bring up the function's dialog box.
- Drag select cells D1 to D6 on the spreadsheet to enter the range into the dialog box.
- Click OK.
- The answer "1" should appear in cell E1 since there is only one blank cell ( D3 ) in the range D1 to D6.
- When you click on cell E1 the complete function =COUNTBLANK ( D1 : D6 ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.