Selecting a List for Data Validation
As mentioned there are a number of options for data validation in Excel in addition to a drop down list.
In this step we will choose the List option as the type of data validation to be used for cell D1 of the worksheet.
- Click on Settings tab in the dialog box
- Click on the down arrow at the end of the Allow line to open the drop down menu
- Click on List to choose a drop down list for data validation in cell C1 and to activate the Source line in the dialog box
Entering the Data Source and Completing the Drop Down List
Since the data source for the drop down list is located on a different workbook, the second named range created earlier will be entered in the Source line in the dialog box.
- Click on the Source line
- Type " = Data " (no quotes) in the Source line
- Click OK to complete the drop down list and close the Data Validation dialog box
- A small down arrow icon located on the right side of cell C1
- Clicking on the down arrow should open the drop down list containing the four cookie names entered into cells A1 to A4 of the data-source.xlsx workbook
- Clicking on one of the names should enter that name into cell C1