Excel Web App SUM Function
Adding up rows or columns of numbers is one of the most common operations carried out in spreadsheet programs like Excel Web App.
The SUM Function's Syntax
The syntax for the SUM function is:
=SUM ( number1, number2 )
The SUM Function's Arguments
number1, number2 - the data to be summed by the function.
The arguments can contain:
- a list of numbers to be summed
- cell references to the location of the data in the worksheet
- a range of cell references
Example: Add a Column of Numbers using the SUM Function
For help with this function, see the image above.
- Enter the following data into cells B1 to B6: 114, 165, 178, 143, 130, 165
- Click on cell B7, the location where the results of the function will be displayed
- Click on the Insert Function icon to open the Insert Function dialog box
- Select SUM from the Commonly Used category or the Math & Trig category
- Click OK to start the SUM function in cell B7
- Drag select cells B1 to B6 to enter this range as the function's argument
- Press the ENTER key on the keyboard to complete the function
- The number 895 should appear in cell B7
- When you click on cell B7 the complete function =SUM ( B1:B6 ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet
Note: If you want to add up data that is spread out in individual cells in the worksheet rather than in a single column or row, click on each number to enter it into the function and separate the cell references with a comma ( , ).
=SUM ( B1, B3, B5 )Related Tutorial